Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advertisements
06-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Advertisements
Hey all. I have another bright idea for The Spriter's Zone.

I want to put big annoying ads all over!

I want a bunch on the main page (preferably the kind that pop up even if you have a pop-up blocker and play an animation of like, a donkey eating cabbage) and I want some in the forums unless you purchase an account (or win one in a contest).

Why do I want ads?
Because I hate users!

Also because I want to pay our artists. I think putting up ads will get a small amount of cash flowing to TSZ. If we're tasteful about it, people won't have that big a problem with them and we can use the inflow of money to help fledgling spriters "Go pro."

Specifically, I want to bind artists to contracts that say I can treat them like dirt unless they post a certain amount of content every week and also push it to all their friends, family, pets, relatives, and on any forum they go to.
I basically want to enslave idiots.

But to a good end. We get content. They get money (and a boss to hate). A five to ten dollar per month contract is a good one for absolute beginners but we won't be able to seriously leash someone with only chump change. I don't know much about advertising or how much money we could possibly get, but I'm sure we could find some shitty programs on the internet that would totally screw us over and take advantage of our bandwidth!

All I need is some small banner ads on the front page and maybe some block ads interspersed within the forum.

What do you guys in the forums think of that?

[Image: linkme.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 09:47 PM by Blitzkrieg Man.)
RE: Advertisements
FFFFFF--

I vote against, for three reasons:
  1. It would turn the forum into an illegitimate business.
  2. You're trying to promote your goal with an oxymoron. I see what you did there.
  3. It's essentially an excuse for you to be a FUCKING PSYCHOPATH!!!

(12-27-2010 07:13 AM)Pocket_Abortions Wrote:  I change my internet identity every ten minutes.
(02-18-2011 09:33 AM)Evilagram Wrote:  I am too sleep deprived to accept anything other than stark opposition.
06-02-2011, 09:48 PM
[Image: 207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg]

Kaworu Died For Your Sins.
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2011, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 10:21 PM by RaveDuck.)
Star of David RE: Advertisements
Hahaha.

Well I'll admit I worded it in a pretty silly way, but I think the plan I've outlined is pretty simple.

Use ads to get money. Use money to pay artists.

Quote:It would turn the forum into an illegitimate business.

Doesn't matter if it's an illegitimate business. If we make very little money we can skate under any business restrictions and if we make enough (Oh my god, that would be the day!) we can just get a business license. Most of the people we contract will likely be close with the forum or at least recognize that the contract is more an unbinding agreement between two parties.

I'd love this to become a business. That would be the very very long term goal. Just putting ads on your site to start cash flow for small time projects isn't going to raise any eyebrows with the feds.

Worst comes to worst, the ad site sends Yoshy a tax form or the beneficiary claiming the gain sets aside a small portion to pay off the bill at the end of the year. Too simple.

Quote:It's essentially an excuse for you to be a FUCKING PSYCHOPATH!!!

Actually that would be Yoshy, or some group of us or something like that. While I'd love if this money just found it's way to my accounts, I think it would be a far better idea if we could get "the website" as an entity to pay out the money. The best way would probably be for "The website" to pay out the dough through a "content manager" which, of course, doesn't have to be me. The manager, as that entity, would state in the contract what needs to be accomplished on a weekly basis in order to assure payment and continuation of the contract at the end of the month.

Quote:You're trying to promote your goal with an oxymoron.

I hate ads.
I hate everything about ads and having to sell the very concept to you fuckers. I hate ads so much that I can't say this shit with a straight face, but I can't think of another way to get more money into TSZ short of bamboozling an idiot into investing or begging for change on the main site.

I think ads might net us SOMETHING. I don't see much harm in at least considering it.

[Image: linkme.png]
06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
normal, like google or adsense ads are fucking stupid because you get payed based on clicks and nobody ever clicks them ever, except for complete retards. I've seen one person intentionally click a google/adsense ad in my whole life. They're only viable when a site has enough traffic that there'll be enough people clicking them accidentally to bring in enough money to pay the hosting bills, which this site is nowhere near.

Project Wonderful ads, on the other hand, would be [Image: z4de8559df15e2.gif] Not much money but for a small site like this it would be more than the alternative.

However, you'd have to stop using edited sprites if you don't want your face sued off. Custom completely original sprites are fine as long as it's clearly parody and as long as you're only making money off of ads. (as in, don't sell t-shirts with copyrighted characters on them, derp)

No reason to give ad revenue to other artists since tasteful ads probably won't even pay for hosting completely. Just put it towards keeping the site up.

Incidentally, I'm working on a pixel-art comic that might turn into a series right now, so if you're looking for more dumb content, hey.

SA/DA/TUMBLR/TWITTER
OFFICIAL FORUM SHITPOSTER
06-03-2011, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 02:05 AM by Evilagram.)
Deviantart and sheezyart have edited bullshit. They have subscription plans and stores.

We're not going to get sued for anything.

I don't care about ads, I don't see them.

How about we worry about getting people here?

http://dl.dropbox.com/.../SpriteTutorials.html

These are sprite tutorials for beginners and more advanced pixel artists. Please use them.
06-03-2011, 02:42 AM
(06-03-2011 02:04 AM)Evilagram Wrote:  Deviantart and sheezyart have edited bullshit. They have subscription plans and stores.

they have the excuse that it's posted by users. although you're probably right. wait, shouldn't you be against edited or ripped sprites as well? I thought that was your thing.

Quote:How about we worry about getting people here?

use whatever ad money that doesn't go to hosting to put up project wonderful ads on other sites. ExclamationExclamationExclamation

SA/DA/TUMBLR/TWITTER
06-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Because we own other websites.

These are sprite tutorials for beginners and more advanced pixel artists. Please use them.
06-03-2011, 05:11 AM
(06-03-2011 04:07 AM)Evilagram Wrote:  Because we own other websites.

what

I mean I knew you were autistic, but jesus. This forum needs post ratings just so I can rate all your posts "bad reading"

SA/DA/TUMBLR/TWITTER
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 12:01 PM by Evilagram.)
Sarcasm. We can't put ads up on sites we don't own.

How dense are you?